Paddlers, we’re a funny ole bunch. We use a language that only a paddler would know, love and understand. Stormys have collated a list of 24 phrases that we hope give you all a giggle, tell us your favourites!
You know you’re a paddler when…
- You have no shame in getting naked in a car park or on the beach full of other paddlers after your done on the water!
- When you know the difference between paddling and rowing
- When You’re kitchen is overrun with large heavy duty zip lock bags
- When you plan your day around your paddling!
- When you sign off on emails with “paddles up!” even when you’re not talking about paddling
- Your bathtub is used to wash and dry paddling gear
- The tops of your hands have the paddlers tan. Dark to the knuckles, white to the nails
- You spend more time in wet clothes than dry
- After a meeting at work, you form a line outside the boardroom and high-five everyone as they file out
- When stopped at an intersection, you see a car creeping over the solid white line and yell, “man in the red Ford back it down or you’re disqualified!”
- You have calluses on your ass and palms the size of quarters
- When running with your friends to catch the last train home from work, you yell “going in 5…4…3…2…1”
- You know what a heart attack feels like already
- You argue with a 90 year old lady who is sitting in the middle of the bus, claiming that you always sit in the ‘engine room’
- After a bout of lovemaking with your significant other, you say ‘let it run’
- When at a restaurant with non-paddle friends who say they are full you want to say out loud “Finish it”
- You’ve finally found something that smells worse than your gym bag…PADDLING SHOES!
- You shuffle passengers around in your car because it feels “left-heavy”
- You attend a business presentation given by one of your colleagues, and you can’t resist the urge to turn and yell everything said so that those in the back can also hear
- You drive your car with half your body hanging out the driver’s side window
- Instead of asking for a “quickie” you ask for a “3 minute piece at 95%”
- You can’t drive your car unless someone sits behind you and yells instructions
- You don’t cancel paddling just because it is raining – it’s a watersport we train in the rain!
- WTF – Where’s the Finish?
Stormy Dragons are back on the water and can’t wait for the first race of the 2018 season!